Tue Oct 21, 11:24:03 AM
Office & Courtroom Technology, Electronic Discovery, and the Internet Tips
1. Google – www.google.com
2. Exhibits linked to electronic deposition
Depositions on a diskette
Exhibits should be imaged and linked to testimony by court reporter
Reallegal, LiveNote, & Summation
Official CA Opinions
9th Circuit Opinions
4. Project Guutenberg - working to render into ASCII all books in the public domain. Books are about 200-500k uncompressed. http://promo.net/pg/
Send blank electronic copy to opposing side in a computer file format – WordPerfect or Microsoft Word.
Answer them and return in computer file format
Careful about Metadata!
6. Computer Security
In considering the security of your computer systems, be aware that approximately 70% of security breaches come from insiders not from outsiders.
Educate everyone in your office about security issues and monitor and enforce their compliance with your security procedures.
Home Computer Secuirty - http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/
7. The Death Clock - www.deathclock.com
8. Voice Recognition
Worth a demonstration
Can input information into many applications – Summation, etc.
Getting better and better
9. Erase Metadata
· Out-of-Sight – www.softwise.net
Metadata Assistant –www.payneconsulting.com
10. Erase Hard drives
Eraser - www.tolvanen.com
Disk wiper - http://www.acronis.com/products/powerutilities/
Evidence Eliminator - www.evidence-eliminator.com
11. Internet Tips
Just type name of web site in and enter Ctrl Enter to complete
Type in “arkfeld”
Hit Ctrl Enter – automatically extends to http://www.arkfeld.com
12. USB 2.0 Connections
Much faster connection – up to 40 times faster than regular port. Supporting data transfer rates up to 480 Mbps
PMCIA USB 2.0 cards - $50
Connect to scanners, CD-ROM writers, external hard drives, etc.
13. Maxtor Personal Storage
External Hard Drive
40 GB - $80
120 GB - $120
Connect with USB 2.0
Pres the “B” key to turn screen black
Press the “W” key to turn the screen white
15. Software or Hardware Implementation
Do one big project at a time
Provide lots of traing for the end users
Test and retest the hardware and software before rolling it out
16. Locate witnesses/parties using Internet "people finders.“
17. Accurint - (www.accurint.com)
18. DQ 2d
Thousands of examples of legal graphics available on CD-ROM for $29 for various law practice areas, (www.decisionquest.com).
19. Find a process server on the 'Net
U.S. Process Servers Assoc. (http://www.usprocesservers.com)
Int'l Process Servers Assoc. (http://iprocessservers.com)
20. Be Your Own Lawyer in a Few Short Hours
21. Coding & Imaging Vendors
Lex Solutio (www.lexsolutio.com)
23. Digital Angel - http://www.digitalangel.net/
24. Play by The Rules - www.rulescentral.com
25. Track Any Flight While It’s in the Air
26. Clones-R-US - http://www.d-b.net/dti/
27. Search Mapping - http://www.kartoo.com/
28. Buy My Inlaws - http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/9319/page1.html
29. Virtual Naval Hospital - http://www.vnh.org/
30. To Blog or Not . . .
To start and edit Blogs - http://www.blogger.com/
Password & Username - 12345rewq
My Blogs - For a list of 30+ Tips web sites
Facilitates the easy collection and sharing of information
No worry about the technology, just write and publish.
Aggregators can grab latest posts from a blog
Explanation of Blogs - http://www.llrx.com/columns/notes58.htm
Erik Heels - http://www.beaverlaw.com/mt/